Two Palestinians shot dead in Gaza Strip as Israel publishes new tenders to expand West Bank settlements
Israeli troops shot and killed a Palestinian man who they claim approached the fence of the Alei Sinai settlement in the Gaza Strip late Thursday, acording to Israel Radio.
Also in the Gaza Strip, three Israelis were lightly injured in a Palestinian shooting attack after nightfall Thursday, according to settlers. A Palestinian was killed, they said.
According to reports, shots were fired at a car on a road near the Kissufim crossing point between Gaza Strip and Israel, a route used by settlers to reach their homes in a bloc of settlements in southern Gaza Strip.
According to settlers, the Palestinian attacker was shot and killed. Israel Radio reported that two Palestinians opened fire on the vehicle.
Meanwhile, the Israeli Housing Ministry published on Thursday a tender for the construction of more than 300 new housing units in two West Bank settlements.
A ministry official said, according to Israel Radio, that tenders had been issued for 153 new apartments in the Karnei Shomron settlement, near Nablus, and 180 units in Givat Ze'ev, near Jerusalem.
It should be noted that the US-backed peace plan "The road map" calls for a freeze on all settlement activities.
Chief Palestinian peace negotiator Saeb Erekat called the settlements and the West Bank security fence the "No. 1 obstacle to peace."
"We call on the United States to intervene to stop the Israeli government continuing settlement activities and walls," Erekat said in reaction to the tenders. "Settlements and walls are the No. 1 obstacle to peace." (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Two Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip
- Eight Palestinians injured in Gaza blast as Israel issues more construction tenders for settlements
- Five Palestinians shot dead in West Bank and Gaza Strip
- Israeli injured in Gaza Strip shooting attack as PA says parliamentary elections to be held ”on time”
- Palestinian Killed in West Bank, Settlers Suspected