Unleashing the Falcon at the Dubai Shopping Festival
One of the more popular exhibitions at the Dubai Shopping Festival has been the falconry demonstrations.
Foreigners and UAE nationals have been streaming into the Heritage Village's Al Hadheera to watch this sport, which once was an essential part of Bedouin life in this region, Gulf News Daily reports.
"In the old days falconry was practiced for the pragmatic purpose of supplementing the sparse diet of bread, dates and milk, however with changing times it has become a sport,'' Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing Director Operations Division, Mohammed Khamis bin Hareb told the paper. ``Among the Bedouins, the falconer is seen as a figure of authority - and there are few sights as awe-inspiring as that of a falcon descending from the sky to rest on the trainer's hand.''
The falcon is considered to be a perfect hunter in the desert because it can spot and chase prey over great distances using its speed and accuracy.
Photograph courtesy of UAE One Info Page
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Kuwait, Dubai Shopping Festivals Thrive
- Falconry: the sport of the super-rich in the UAE
- Dubai Properties Group Hosts Diverse Selection of Events and Activities at The Walk at Jumeirah Beach Residence To Celebrate Dubai Shopping Festival
- Al Bustan Centre & Residence unleashes grand DSS promotions
- Eros Group unleashes DSF 2013 offers from Samsung, TCL, Hitachi and Eros Digital Home