Unleashing the Falcon at the Dubai Shopping Festival
One of the more popular exhibitions at the Dubai Shopping Festival has been the falconry demonstrations.
Foreigners and UAE nationals have been streaming into the Heritage Village's Al Hadheera to watch this sport, which once was an essential part of Bedouin life in this region, Gulf News Daily reports.
"In the old days falconry was practiced for the pragmatic purpose of supplementing the sparse diet of bread, dates and milk, however with changing times it has become a sport,'' Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing Director Operations Division, Mohammed Khamis bin Hareb told the paper. ``Among the Bedouins, the falconer is seen as a figure of authority - and there are few sights as awe-inspiring as that of a falcon descending from the sky to rest on the trainer's hand.''
The falcon is considered to be a perfect hunter in the desert because it can spot and chase prey over great distances using its speed and accuracy.
Photograph courtesy of UAE One Info Page
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Falcon Smuggler Arrested at Cairo Airport as Bag Moves
- Thousands Attend Opening Day of the Second International Festival of Falconry
- 16 Countries Take Part in Dubai’s Hunting Expo
- Sheikh Mansour bin Mohammed officially inaugurates Heritage Village at The Walk at JBR
- Dubai Shopping Festival 2000, Starring Mickey Mouse on Skates