US frees Syrian troops injured in Iraqi border clash
The United States has returned five Syrian border guards wounded and taken by American forces during a June 18 clash on the Syrian-Iraqi border, a Syrian government spokesman said Monday.
The announcement, carried by Syria's official news agency SANA, said the guards were handed over to Syria on the Syrian-Iraqi border and taken to hospital for further treatment.
Syrian Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa had said Sunday that Syria wanted to avoid escalating tensions with Washington and was instead engaged in quiet diplomacy over the return of the border guards.
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- <i>Al Bawaba</i> sources: U.S. ensures personal safety of Iraqi FM en route to Cairo
- Iraq: Three US troops die, clashes reported on Syria border as Zarqawi expands network
- Clash on Syrian- Israeli border: Israel kills infiltrator, captures Syrian soldier; Two Palestinians dead in PA areas
- Read the YPG's statement about Turkey's alleged cross-border attack
- At least 20, including two US troops, killed in Iraq attacks