U.S. offers Israel new generation of Patriot missiles
The United States has offered Israel a new generation of Patriot missiles that could intercept missiles fired from Iraq, the Israeli public television reported Monday night.
The new Patriots specially designed to destroy Scud missiles in flight would be placed under the control of US troops deployed in Israel, the report added.
Quoting high-ranking officials, however, the television said Israel would reject the offer on the grounds that it already had Arrow anti-missile missiles developed in cooperation with the United States to face up to a possible Iraqi attack.
Furthermore, Israeli authorities fear that the presence of US forces in Israel would provide a pretext for Iraqi President Saddam Hussein to attack. (Albawaba.com)
- Israel deploys Patriot missiles to protect nuclear reactor against possible attack by Iraq
- US provides Israel with two Patriot batteries
- Israel's arrow anti-ballistic missile destroys test target
- Israeli Air Force to Deploy Anti-Aircraft Missiles Against Attacks Like September 11
- Sharon to ministers: Stop talking about U.S. attack on Iraq; Israel to use new missile shield in case of Scud attack