US soldier, Iraqi killed at checkpoint near Syrian border
Several armed Iraqis on Sunday killed a US soldier at the Al Qaem checkpoint near the border with Syria, a US military statement said Monday.
The US Central Command said Monday morning that “several assailants pulled up their car Sunday at the checkpoint, asked for medical aid for one of the passengers and then pulled out pistols and shot the soldier.” The US troops returned fire, killing one person and capturing a second. At least one other assailant fled in the vehicle.
Meanwhile, Secretary of State Colin Powell said he stood by his statement to the United Nations in February that Iraq was developing a WMD program. "They have acknowledged that they had biological weapons," Powell told Fox News. "And they never accounted for all that they had." (Albawaba.com)
- Attack near Kirkuk kills one policeman as US forces detain 112 Iraqis near Syrian border
- At least eight Iraqis, American soldier dead; US Army claims killing of senior al Qaeda figures
- At least two US soldiers killed near Najaf; US Army sets up roadblocks in Western desert
- US offensive along Syrian-Iraqi border: Three Americans, scores of gunmen killed
- Syrian soldiers killed by Turkish fire near border