Yemen president says ready to step down in coming days
Yemen’s President Ali Abdullah Saleh said on Saturday he would leave power in the coming days. “I reject power and I will continue to reject it, and I will be leaving power in the coming days,” Saleh said in a speech on state television.
“I call on my supporters to persevere and to confront any challenge,” Saleh added. He stressed he won't hand over powers to the opposition.
Opposition parties reacted cautiously to the president's comments. Saleh has made many verbal concessions during the protests against him which started in January.
- Yemen: Opposition figures downplay president comments he is ready to quit
- Yemen president agrees to step down within 30 days
- Yemen's Leader to Visit Saudi Arabia for Border Talks
- Yemen president: No intention for additional term
- Egypt, Yemen leaders express '\'astonishment'\' over postponement of Arab summit