Study: Bananas better than sports drinks for athletes
Are bananas the new energy drinks?
Bananas beat sports drinks as energy source for athletes, a new study has revealed.
The fruit, which is rich in potassium and nutrients, has always been a favourite for endurance runners and cyclists.
Now scientists have confirmed that as well as maintaining the same levels of energy as carbohydrate drinks, bananas also possess healthier sugars.
The study revealed that bananas contained antioxidants not found in sugary sports drinks apart from having a greater nutritional boost.
"It shows healthier energy sources can still support an athlete's high performance," the Daily Express quoted Dr David Nieman, of Appalachian State University in North Carolina, as saying. (ANI)
- Muslim athletes and fasting during the Olympics
- Water better for young athletes than sports drinks, experts say
- Study: Athletes must monitor diet & weight to maintain muscle mass
- Mountain Dew extreme sports tour concludes performances in Saudi Arabia and moves on to Oman
- hot banana, the web content management system from j.l. halsey continues to expand in the middle east, partners with kuwait-based neshami