Di Matteo says Chelsea can't turn into Barcelona overnight
Chelsea's Champions League glory in May was a triumph due to a sense of purpose rather than owner Roman Abramovich's desire to see 'Barcelona in blue shirts'.
"Everybody would like to play like Barcelona, but there isn't another team in the world who play like them. It's a culture, a way of life, a style they've produced through the club for many, many years. And there's only one Lionel Messi around," The Daily Mirror quoted Di Matteo, as saying.
"The owner's will to win has never decreased. He wants to win, and he backs it up. It will be a challenge for us, for sure, to match the best in Europe and I'm not preaching we'll be this or that," he said.
"We're going to be trying to win in the way we're capable of. We'll have some good games, I'm sure. I'm excited by these new players," he added.
Di Matteo further said: "You look at what they've done at previous clubs, and trying to bring them together to express their qualities for the team will be exciting. But I don't think you can expect a completely different Chelsea overnight." (ANI)
- Benitez says Abramovich asked him for results not 'Barcelona-style' football
- Di Matteo: I can't help it if people don't like Chelsea
- Di Matteo says speculation linking Guardiola with Chelsea does not affect him
- Chelsea sack Di Matteo after 3-0 defeat to Juventus
- Chelsea's Oscar says he would play anywhere boss Di Matteo wants