Iran's Mahdavikia voted Asia’s Most Popular Footballer
Mehdi Mahdavikia of Iran was voted the Most Popular Footballer in Asia amongst currently active players in 2012, according to the results of voting on the website of the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS).
Former Iran and current Persepolis midfielder topped the list with 103.703 votes, followed by his countryman Mehdi Rahmati, Esteghlal international goalkeeper with 79.533 and Yasser Al-Qahtani of Saudi Arabia with 36.242.
Mahdavikia and Rahmati will face each other on January 25 in Tehran derby in Tehran’s Azadi Stadium as their team’s captains.
- Roy Keane talks about infamous 'headbutt' row with Schmeichel in new autobiography
- Women in Iran banned from watching Euro 2012 matches in public
- Howard Webb voted world's best referee despite controversial decisions
- Fifa extends Ballon d'Or voting deadline due to low responses
- Ronaldo tops 'most popular footballers in 2013' list