UAE out of Arab Cup 2012
Abdulla Misfir, the UAE coach, had named a depleted squad on Tuesday after eight players made themselves unavailable.
Basheer Saeed, the Al Ahli defender, said he wanted be with his sick father while seven others provided various reasons for pulling out of the conditioning camp in Turkey from Saturday until June 17.
The senior national team was already weakened by the raft of players preparing with the Olympic team for their matches in London this summer with Great Britain, Senegal and Uruguay.
"We regret to reach at this decision," Obaid Al Shamsi, vice president of the Football Association, said.
"We had to come to this conclusion after consultation with our technical committee,"
"We couldn't assemble strong squad because for reasons beyond our control. And we also don't have time to prepare for a big competition. When we play in such an event, we must field a team to play honourably."
- Fitting finale to play out in 2012’s Emirates Airline Cup of Nations XV’s Rugby Tournament
- Al Sarkal: No new coach for UAE until after London Olympics
- Asian Cup 2015: Bahrain 1-2 UAE
- Asian Cup 2015: Japan 1-1 UAE (pens: 4-5)
- Dubai’s Divas come out for the Derby: Horse race World Cup 2014 brings out the stallions of fashion