Wenger still considers Premier League best in world
Wenger says Premier League still best in world
Manchester City has not reached the last 16 and Chelsea is likely to suffer the same fate but Wenger still believes that English football is uniquely attractive.
"I'd still say England is the strongest, because in England if they want a player they get him, still. As long as that happens you will be the most powerful in Europe. Are we the best in Europe? That's another question," the Independent quoted Wenger, as saying.
"England is best, because there's something more here. It is not only linked with what you see on the pitch but how you experience football. That's what I believe deeply. And when I speak to the players they say exactly the same," he added.
Wenger said English teams have struggled recently because of improvements abroad rather than decay at home.
"Maybe we [English clubs] have less room, less margin, than we had before when it was just a question of when we would qualify," Wenger said.
"Now German football has come up, Spanish football is there every year and some French clubs have come back like Paris Saint-Germain. It looks less obvious for us," he said. (ANI)
- Wenger calls for stricter measures to prevent doping, match fixing in football
- Dempsey, Bradley each make more than total payroll of 15 MLS clubs
- Benitez considers Wenger best manager in Premier League
- Liverpool veteran Carragher considers teammate Suarez Premier League's best player
- Benitez believes Wenger is best coach in Premier League