Al-Futtaim Motors develop vehicle to join Dubai Taxi Corporation’s specialised fleet
Al-Futtaim Motors, the exclusive distributor for Toyota in the UAE has produced a modified Hiace vehicle to transport wheelchair bound passengers for the Dubai Taxi Corporation (DTC), which is part of the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA). The unique design is the first of its kind for Al-Futtaim Motors, and is particularly versatile, allowing the lift equipment to easily fold away when not required, returning to its original configuration to transport five passengers and their luggage.
Simon Frith, Managing Director, Al-Futtaim Motors, stated: “When DTC announced they were looking into developing a specialised fleet of taxi vehicles, we were delighted to have the opportunity to further support DTC in serving the community. We knew we had the technical capabilities to work on a suitable modification at our workshop in Dubai and have since handed over the transformed Hiace as a complementary prototype for testing.”
The DTC is a leading fleet customer for Al-Futtaim Motors with their relationship dating back to 1995.
Al-Futtaim Motors were invited to the DTC headquarters in Al Muhaisnah to formally handover the prototype at a ceremony attended by Mr Abdul Aziz Malik, CEO, DTC and Mr Yousif Mohammed Al-Ali, Director of Fleet Operations Department, DTC.
Mr Abdul Aziz Malik, explained: “This initiative falls within the strategic framework of the RTA and DTC, and demonstrates our solid commitment to providing for all sectors of the community, and especially for people with special needs. A key part of DTC’s operational plan for this year is to enhance its social interaction through the development of customer services, and the effective marketing of these initiatives.”
Mr Malik continued: “It is our duty to address the needs of the community and we have experienced a demand for such specialised vehicles. Working with our long term associates, we are delighted to deliver comfortable solutions for all our passengers. The modification of the Toyota Hiace is extremely successful as it is easily adapted to suit different transport requirements. DTC has over 3,500 vehicles of which over 59 per cent are Toyota vehicles, supplied by Al-Futtaim Motors. The strength of the vehicle lies in its legendary performance and Toyota is known for its quality, durability and reliability which are essential requirement for taxi operations.”
- A year later: how safe is flying after the Malaysian airlines' disasters?
- Nationalist glory or economic revival? Why Egyptians are rushing for two-way traffic in the Suez Canal
- Open skies vs. closed economies: American aviation giants split over competing with Gulf airlines
- The sky is the limit: has the time come for air traffic control in the GCC?
- After a very deadly 2014, aviation leaders seek new safety mandate
- Al-Futtaim Motors marks Diamond Jubilee with a trip through time
- Toyota Motor Corporation joins Al-Futtaim Motors and UAE govt. departments in nation-wide raids on counterfeit parts trade
- Al-Futtaim Motors sets meter running at UITP
- 1,638 new Toyota vehicles go to Dubai Taxi Corporation’s fleet in 2014