British Airways hopes to resume flights to Sharm El Sheikh in September

Published June 8th, 2016 - 12:00 GMT
British Airways suspended flights to Sharm El Sheikh in November 2015 following a plane crash in Sinai which killed 224 people, mostly Russian tourists. (Twitter)
British Airways suspended flights to Sharm El Sheikh in November 2015 following a plane crash in Sinai which killed 224 people, mostly Russian tourists. (Twitter)

British Airways aims to resume flights to Sharm el-Sheikh on September 15, pending approval from the UK government, Reuters reports.

International carriers suspended its flights to Sharm al-Sheikh following the October 31 plane crash in Sinai, which killed 224 passengers, most of them Russian tourists. 

In December 2015, Egypt appointed UK-based Control Risks consultancy to conduct a study into airport security. Over the last two months, British, German and Russian delegations have visited Egypt's main airports to assess improvements in security measures. Last month, Germany announced that it would lift the ban on flights to the Red Sea resort of Sharm El Sheikh. 

British Airways regional customer service manager, Sherif Barsoum, said that the company was still awaiting permission from the British government before resuming flights, Al-Borsa newspaper reports.

According to Reuters, Barsoum said that security measures are now 80 percent better than eight months ago, a fact that would positively influence the UK's decision.

Egypt’s tourism industry, which is a vital source of foreign currency, has been hit hard following a series of crises in recent months including a hijack in March and the crash of flight MS804 in the Mediterranean last month, killing 66 people on board. April figures indicate that tourism has dropped 54 percent over last year, with revenue down to $500 million in the first quarter compared to $1.5 billion a year earlier. 


© 2000 - 2022 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like