A total of 53 deals worth $2.81 billion were announced for the region during Q2 2020, against the last four-quarter average of 113 deals.
Of all the deal types, M&A saw most activity in Q2 2020 with 35, representing a 66.04 per cent share for the region.
In second place was venture financing with 12 deals, followed by private equity deals with six transactions, respectively capturing a 22.6 per cent and 11.3 per cent share of the overall deal activity for the quarter.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in Europe’s tourism & leisure industry with $2.64 billion, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $128.67 million and $42.26 million, respectively.
Europe tourism & leisure industry deals in Q2 2020: Top deals
The top five tourism & leisure deals accounted for 95.6 per cent of the overall value during Q2 2020.
The combined value of the top five tourism & leisure deals stood at $2.69 billion, against the overall value of $2.81 billion recorded for the quarter.
The top five tourism & leisure industry deals of Q2 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
• Evolution Gaming Group’s $2.32bn acquisition of NetEnt
• The $224.57 million acquisition of Porto Carras by Belterra Investments
• TowerBrook Capital Partners’ $108.67 million private equity deal with CarTrawler
• The $20 million private equity deal with Playa Hotels & Resorts by Davidson Kempner Capital Management
• Atream’s asset transaction with PATRIZIA for $18.48 million.