Kuwait's oil facilities will be protected by maximum security after a Daesh (ISIS) suicide bomber attacked a Shiite mosque in the country's capital, AFP reported Saturday.
The explosion in Kuwait City on Friday killed at least 26 people and injured more than 200, as part of a series of attacks committed by the extremist group during the holy month of Ramadan.
The killings led to the country's further heightened security measures to protect its oil industry; Kuwait had already boosted security after taking part in the Saudi-led coalition against Yemen's Houthi rebels.
"Kuwait Petroleum Corp. and its subsidiaries have raised security measures to the maximum level following the terrorist bombing on Friday," spokesman Sheikh Talal Khaled al-Sabah said in a statement. "All refineries, oilfields and oil sector operations have been placed under heightened security measures to maintain normal operations without being affected by the terrorist threat."
The Gulf state heavily relies on oil for its income, the commodity making up about 90 percent of public revenues, AFP said.
Daesh-affiliated extremists have been targeting Shiite communities in the Middle East, but Friday marks the first time an attack hit Kuwait. Shiite Muslims are about one-third of the country's population, according to AFP.
Kuwaiti police have detained several suspects in connection with the attack.