A government team is to hold talks with a British-led consortium on building a pipeline to transport fresh water from Iran to Kuwait, a newspaper reported Saturday, June 24.
"The team that has been formed by the council of ministers to follow up on a project to bring water from Iran will begin talks this week with investors," Electricity and Water Minister Talal Al-Ayyar said, quoted by Al-Rai Al-Aam.
Ayyar heads the team comprising representatives from several government agencies. The consortium, which has offered to build the two-billion-dollar pipeline, is led by multinational group Gulf Utilities, which has Kuwaiti and Iranian partners.
Ayyar said he may also visit Tehran to discuss the project with Iranian officials. Gulf Utilities said last week the Kuwaiti cabinet had finally approved the deal after more than a year of talks on the pipeline, which would ship water from Karkeh dam in northern Iran and under the Gulf to Kuwait.
A major international group is to be appointed to co-develop the pipeline, with financing from a number of backers from Iran, the Middle East and international capital markets.
Gulf Utilities said it would sign preliminary contracts with Iran and Kuwait within the next six months. The pipeline would be completed in 2005, the London-based developer said. ― (AFP, Kuwait City)
© Agence France Presse 2001
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)