Monitor Dust Allergies During the Current Weather Conditions: Canadian Specialist Hospital
As severe sand storms hit many parts of the UAE, doctors from Canadian Specialist Hospital has advised patients to avoid excessive exposure to dust and practice precautionary measures. Dust allergies are usually triggered by the rise in temperature and dusty warm winds of summer as it leads to an increase in inhaled sand particles. If left untreated, allergies can lead to severe conditions like sinus and asthma.
As per reports, one in six people in the UAE suffer from asthma and one in five residents suffer from allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever.
“Allergies occur due to the inflammation of the immune system pathway when encountered by allergens. Patients may experience severe itching all over the body, nasal congestion, nasal discharge, sneezing, itching throat and itchy watery red eyes. In rare cases, patients may experience urticaria, angioedema and breathlessness if the allergy aggravates,” said Dr. Ali Akbar, Head of Dermatology Department, Canadian Specialist Hospital.
In case of dust allergy, patients are advised to stay indoors during sand storms and dusty weather conditions. When stepping outdoors, cover the nose and mouth region with a mask to avoid exposure to dust. At home, the most important practice is to reduce the humidity in the house and use an air purifier to reduce dust exposure. Ensure proper vacuum cleaning of the house to avoid accumulation of dust.
In the case of sandstorms, following precautions must be undertaken, especially by those with prior pulmonary conditions –
- Restrict the exposure to dust as much as possible by remaining indoors and avoid leaving the house unless in the case of an emergency
- In case you do need to move out, check the weather forecast and conditions and restrict the dust particles to enter your mouth or nasal cavity by covering up effectively
- While driving, ensure that the windows are sealed shut and use the air conditioning as much as possible
- Remain hydrated at all times during a sand storm. In case dust gets in your eye, rinse them with water immediately to avoid infections
- At home, utilize an air purifier or vacuum at regular intervals
- Asthmatics need to carry their decongestants / inhalers at all times
- Consult a physician in case you are wheezing, having difficulty breathing, chest pain or discomfort after exposure
“Proper care must be taken, as prolonged exposure to allergens will worsen the allergy over time. The severe reactions to any allergy are characterized by more intense symptoms along with abnormal and difficult breathing, chest tightness, anxiety, swelling of the face, eyes, or tongue, and racing heart. These symptoms can lead to loss of consciousness and are life-threatening. If you experience any of these symptoms it is better to consult your physician immediately,” concluded Dr. Ali Akbar.
Canadian Specialist Hospital
Canadian Specialist Hospital provide a wide range of medical services and houses most of the surgical facilities of Dubai. Continuous development and investment in technology, medical expertise and support facilities have contributed to the hospitals' current stature as one of the preeminent medical institutions in the middle east.