Orange Business Services Supports Demo Day for Startups
10 startups selected and supported by Startupbootcamp Smart City Dubai pitched their ideas recently (February 28th) to partners and influencers in Dubai, marking the end of a three-month period during which the teams refined their products, established customer traction and prepared to go to market.
The startups, working across industries including urban automation & mobility, and smart government, made their pitches to an invited audience at a special Demo Day coinciding with the end of UAE Innovation Month (February 2018). At the event, hosted at the Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry, each team had the chance to present their ideas and products and how they will disrupt the smart city industry.
Announced in May 2017, Dubai Smart City Accelerator at Dubai Silicon Oasis aims to accelerate 40 new ventures over three years (at total cost of AED18 million).The first of its kind in the MENA region, the initiative was launched by the Dubai Silicon Oasis Authority in collaboration with six strategic partners: Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company PJSC (du), Smart Dubai Office (SDO), Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Dubai Chamber), Rochester Institute of Technology New York, Orange Business Services, and Visa.
- Astron is a UAE based company - an intelligent asset and facility management platform offering resources efficiency, economic savings and ease of use to the end user. The solution can be applied for residential and commercial uses, for any asset on the electrical grid, anywhere in the world.
- Buseet, based in Cairo, is a bus platform, providing a new mode of transportation for the middle class that is both convenient and affordable.
- CivilCops, based in India is an intelligence platform, for governments and citizens to interact seamlessly through AI channels, resolve grievances and analyse city data.
- Docswallet is based in India and Abu Dhabi and enables citizens to get digitally certified documents on Blockchain from their official sources, store and organise them in a document wallet account, and submit them as required.
- FriendyCar based in Dubai is the first Peer to Peer Car Borrowing in MENA with the aim of disrupting the Mobility and Auto-insurance market.
- Grid Supply Chain, based in Egypt, monitors the movements of logistics assets by land, sea and air and aggregates supply with demand to utilize idle assets through a collaborative logistics platform.
- Intelitaap, based out of Mumbai (India) uses Machine Learning to Analyze Consumers to improve Customer Experience inside a Physical Retail Store.
- Responscity, based in Surat, offers a location based citizen-engagement platform through smart tags to validate door-to-door services and solve addressing issues for government, citizens and businesses.
- Smart Sensor Devices, based in Stockholm Sweden, provides customized smart sensor networks and connectivity for any kind of applications.
- Verismart, based in India with operations in India, UAE and US creates a unique global digital identity using Ai and blockchain for making Know your Customer (KYC) or signup process autonomous and much more secured for the users of banks, telecoms, wallets, exchanges and more.
Speaking on the sidelines of the Demo Day, Luc Serviant, VP Middle East & Africa, Orange Business Services, said: “Orange Business Services is committed to supporting the Smart Dubai initiative. Our unique collaboration is designed to accelerate innovation within this creative cluster, and creates an extraordinary opportunity to contribute to the world’s most exciting large-scale smart city program, through nurturing talented people and startups - a commitment we have demonstrated around the world.”
Luc Serviant, who also represents Orange on the Accelerator Selection Committee, added: “Innovation and talent are central to the sustainability of a city, and as one of the world’s leading partners in digital transformation, Orange brings to this partnership our global experience and R&D resources and a distinct startup approach. We believe this is a very exciting new collaboration and initiative.”
As a smart cities player in the GCC, Orange Business Services is responding directly to the challenge made by HH Sheikh Mohammed, Vice President of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, when he said: “We want to make Dubai the smartest city in the world. We call on everyone to collaborate to achieve that goal.” And because the accelerator program focuses on innovation, startups and smart cities – all three of which are core to the Orange business.
In addition to making a sponsorship donation to the program and committing its full support, Orange Business Services is actively supporting the startups as a pilot customer, where possible. Orange has also created a senior team of 10 international mentors, including the Silicon Valley based VP Technology Development; and Orange FAB Director based in Amman. The Orange regional mentors include senior consultants, digital strategy advisor, and project director. In addition, Orange has contributed two internal Intrapreneurs in Residence to help socialise the Dubai Smart City Accelerator program and the selected startups, within Orange.
Speaking at the Demo Day, Axel G Hammar, Founder & CEO, Smart Sensor Devices, commented: “The collaboration with Orange has included coaching and helping us do a ‘Proof of Concept’ of our product in their office in Dubai, so this is a major achievement for us and they are giving us feedback on our product, on what we can improve and new ideas on the business and applications. We have one main mentor and support from the rest of the Orange team. Orange is doing a lot of business in Dubai, so they can use and distribute our product and generate a new service.”
Orange Fairs and Events
Orange Fairs & Events aim is to exceed their expectations by providing the highest quality designs, products and services, without exceptions.