Saudi Oger's Employees to Be Transferred to Other Companies: Ministry of Labor

Published June 19th, 2017 - 06:00 GMT
Some 8,000 workers will be transferred to other companies. (AFP/ File)
Some 8,000 workers will be transferred to other companies. (AFP/ File)

Employees of troubled construction company Saudi Oger will be moved to other firms, the Ministry of Labor and Social Development said, amid unconfirmed reports that workers there will be laid off from July 31.

The ministry said there were 1,200 Saudis among a total of around 8,000 workers at the company, which has built many huge infrastructure projects in the Kingdom, from universities and roads to airports and hospitals.

It said it planned to move some 600 Saudi employees to other facilities and would continue to look for jobs for the remaining Saudis working there.

The Minister of Labor and Social Development has directed Chairman of the Human Resources Development Fund Dr. Ali bin Nasser Al-Ghafais to find suitable jobs for Saudis while they transfer 6,000 expatriate workers to other companies, spokesman of the ministry Khalid Aba Al-Khail was quoted as saying.

He said that expatriate employees working in the company with temporary contracts are allowed to be transferred to other companies.

As for those who would like to leave Saudi Arabia when their contract comes to an end with the company, their departure procedures will be facilitated and their full rights will be reserved in coordination with their respective embassies.

A document described as an internal Saudi Oger memo and seen by Reuters notified employees that July 31 would be the last working day there, in light of “the circumstances that the company is going through.”

The letter, which was also mentioned in a news article by Al-Hayat on Saturday, was signed by the administration of Saudi Oger.

The letter did not specify whether the company would close down operations.

A spokesman for Saudi Oger could not be reached for comment, while a source close to the company said there was no decision to close it down. This was confirmed by another senior official.

Sources have told Reuters Saudi Oger plans to transfer some staff working on a mega government project to a new company, in an attempt to mitigate increasing financial pressure.

The contractor owes banks in the Kingdom about SR13 billion ($3.5 billion) and faces a funding crisis because it has not received any new funds from the government for projects.

Sources told Reuters in April the government had appointed PricewaterhouseCoopers to conduct a review of Saudi Oger’s major projects in the country and examine how much it is owed by the government.

The review is likely to determine how much the company will receive in outstanding payments, as well as whether it will continue working on the projects.

The labor ministry has previously intervened to transfer 3,800 foreign staff at Saudi Oger to other companies, while a further 11,500 left the firm. 


© Copyright 2021 The Saudi Gazette. All Rights Reserved.

You may also like