The saga continues: Dishdasha-clad Emirati assaulted by police ends up hospitalized again

Published July 6th, 2016 - 04:00 GMT
Not having a good week: In this still image from a video posted on YouTube, Emirati national Ahmed Al-Menhali is shown being pinned to the ground and handcuffed by police in Avon. (YouTube)
Not having a good week: In this still image from a video posted on YouTube, Emirati national Ahmed Al-Menhali is shown being pinned to the ground and handcuffed by police in Avon. (YouTube)

An Emirati businessman, who was mistreated by the US Police last week after he was mistaken as a Daesh sympathiser, was hospitalised again on Monday.

"I was admitted at an emergency (section of a hospital) after feeling dizziness and tiredness yesterday evening," Ahmad Al Menhali, 41, told Gulf News on the phone from Ohio on Tuesday. He said he was feeling better after receiving treatment.

Al Menhali said he was waiting for an official aplogy letter from the US government. Meanwhile, he has engaged a lawyer in Ohio to look into the possibility of suing the US government.

"He (the lawyer) is looking into the details of the case and will take a decision accordingly. We will see what action is being taken by the US Government," he explained.

As Gulf News reported, Avon's Chief of Police Richard Bosley apologised to Emirati businessman Ahmad Al Menhali, who was mistakenly detained by armed police in front of a hotel entrance on Thursday.

In a face-to-face meeting captured on video, Bosley, along with Brian Jensen, the Mayor of Avon, apologised directly to Al Menhali.

"No one from the police department [meant] to disrespect you, that was the not the intent of the actions of our officers. It's a very regrettable circumstance that occurred for you. You should not have been put in that situation like you were," said Bosley in a 29-second video posted on Twitter.

Rawdha Al Otaiba, Director of the Department of US Affairs at the ministry, had expressed the UAE's dissatisfaction with the way the police dealt with the Emirati.

Al Otaiba voiced the UAE's disapproval of the arbitrary treament and searching of Al Menhali, and the posting of a video clip showing him being handcuffed.

She described the incident as a libel against the Emirati man.

Following the incident involving Al Menhali, the UAE government issued an advisory urging Emiratis to refrain from wearing the national dress when travelling abroad.

Emiratis interviewed by Gulf News have found the government's advisory timely and apt and also advised their countrymen to follow the order.

Emiratis have agreed that wearing the traditional Emirati dress outside the Middle East is not a smart choice, given an escalation in negative prejudices about it in certain parts of the world.

By Abdulla Rasheed, the Abu Dhabi Editor, and Binsal Abdul Kader, senior reporter


© Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2019. All rights reserved.

You may also like