A lying wedding guest who claimed the food and drink at a Mexico resort made him sick, has been ordered to pay travel firm TUI £10,000 ($13,402).
Jadeep Singh, 34, of Salford, appeared to be having a good time at the all-inclusive Beach Palace in Cancun, as the wedding guest posted selfies online during the November 2015 holiday.
However, he later claimed he was suffering from a gastric illness that lasted three weeks due to the resort's food that also made the other 12 guests in his party sick.
But a Manchester county court judge didn't believe Singh, calling him 'fundamentally dishonest' and ordered him to pay £10,000 ($13,402) in costs to the travel firm.
Although Singh claimed the other dozen guests were also made ill by the food and drink, no one else made claims with TUI.
He was ordered to pay the penalty by May 30, with additional costs on an indemnity basis.
Andrew Flintham, TUI managing director, said in a statement: 'We have again showed our commitment in the fight against fraudulent holiday sickness claims.
'Despite the efforts we must go through to defend our industry and hotel partners we will continue to do so as we have a duty of care to protect honest holidaymakers.
'We will continue to fight this issue bringing any similar cases to a court hearing and we hope that this sends out a clear message to anyone else considering making a fake sickness claim.'
This isn't the first time a holidaymaker has tried to pull one over on their travel firms.
Last week Liam Royle, who won £6,000 ($8,041) in compensation after claiming he fell ill on holiday, was exposed a fraudster when his ex-girlfriend handed in video footage of him dancing 'Gangnam Style' by the pool.
Royle made the fraudulent sickness claim against Jet2holidays, however when his ex became aware of the deceit she gave compelling evidence to the company, including the video.
A judge ruled he must repay the package holiday firm more than £6,000 in costs.
Royle, 23, from Eccles, Manchester, claimed he suffered from a gastric illness.
He said he had suffered for five days with stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting, as a result of food poisoning whilst on a week-long holiday at the Papantonia Hotel Apartments, in Cyprus in August 2015.
Earlier this year a couple who tried to claim compensation for food poisoning on holiday were caught out when they posted images boasting about their break on social media.
Leon Roberts, 38, and mother-of-two Jade Muzoka, 27, claimed some £3,000 ($4,020) in damages after their week's holiday in the resort of Belek.
The pair lied about being bedridden with vomiting and diarrhoea and sued the hotel and tour operators Thomson, now known as TUI.
The holiday firm said the claim could have cost them £50,000 ($67,014) had the pair not been caught out.
Both pleaded guilty to fraud by false representation in relation to after claiming their 2015 trip was ruined by food poisoning.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
© Associated Newspapers Ltd.