A nine-month-old Afghan baby suffocated to death after he got entangled in a bedsheet that was used to keep him warm at his family apartment in Sharjah's Al Majaz-2.
Initial investigations revealed that the infant's mother had wrapped him with the bedsheet and tied one end of the cloth to a side of the bed to prevent him from falling. During her absence, the baby woke up and tried to move around, but the cloth got entangled around his neck.
The boy's father said he was at the market when his wife put the baby in bed at noon and then wrapped a cloth around his body and tied one end to the bed's end. She then went to the kitchen to prepare lunch. When the mother returned to the bedroom, she was shocked to see her baby hanging from the edge of the bed. The panic-stricken mother tried to wake her baby, but in vain.
He said the mother immediately called the national ambulance, after which paramedics rushed the infant to Al Qasimi Hospital. However, the child couldn't be revived despite the doctors' "best efforts". "His four-year-old brother is still asking for him, but we don't know how to explain to him that his baby brother will never come back again," the father said.
A source at Al Qasimi Hospital said when the infant was brought to the hospital's emergency department, he was in a critical condition as he had suffered a cardiac arrest. The medical team carried out three heart operations, while the brain remained inoperable due to lack of oxygen and blood flow. He was admitted to the intensive care unit, put on the ventilator and kept under medical observation, but died two days later.
Copyright © 2019 Khaleej Times. All Rights Reserved.