Burger King China Apologizes For Allegedly Selling Expired Food

Published July 19th, 2020 - 07:16 GMT
(Shutterstock/ File Photo)
(Shutterstock/ File Photo)
Highlights
Footage reportedly shows workers changing date labels of buns and chicken.

Burger King has publicly apologised to its customers after being accused by Chinese state media of using 'expired ingredients' for their food.

The US fast-food giant's three outlets in the eastern Chinese province Jiangxi allegedly used out-of-date buns and chicken thighs to make their burgers, state broadcaster CCTV said in a programme on Thursday.

The Chinese franchise issued a formal apology after the show aired. National health officials are conducting sweeping health inspections on the American chain's other restaurants in China.

Burger King is owned by Restaurant Brands International (RBI) but its Chinese outlets are mainly managed by Tab Food Investments (TFI), a restaurant operator based in Turkey and China.


The accusations against the American fast-food chain were made by CCTV yesterday in a consumer rights programme.

Since being first aired in 1991, the annual TV show has become an event watched in fear by international and local brands alike, due to the potential impact on sales and public relations of appearing on its list of shame.


Footage released by the state media reportedly shows a worker at a Burger King in Nanchang tearing off the shelf time labels from a package of expired bread and replacing them with new ones.

An employee from another outlet is seen changing the date of expired chicken. The state media also accused the restaurants using fewer slices of cheese or tomatoes while making their burgers.

Screenshots of online reviews released by CCTV claimed that customers had been complaining about the food quality from those restaurants.

Burger King's Chinese franchise responded immediately after the programme aired, releasing a statement on social media. 

It wrote: 'The Jiangxi restaurants mentioned in the report are under the same franchise. Their behaviours were seriously against our company value of 'customers come first'.

'It is a management error from us. We broke the trust of our customers and we are deeply sorry about that.'

The three outlets highlighted in the programmes had been closed for internal investigations, said the company.

Following the programme, Chinese health officials has started inspecting the fast-food chain's restaurants in other cities, including Beijing and Shanghai, reported Chinese media.

This article has been adapted from its original source.


© Associated Newspapers Ltd.

You may also like