Written by Zaid Bawab
The long-running singing competition is reportedly set for a shake-up, with Louis Walsh, Sharon Osbourne and Nicole Scherzinger all rumoured to be facing the axe.
Though amid claims of change, it seems Cheryl will not be making a return to The X Factor in 2018, as she has already committed to Simon Cowell's new dance show on the BBC.
According to The Sun, the singer, 34, is more 'excited' by the 'fresh' format of upcoming series The Greatest Dancer, so will not be returning to the judging panel - leaving Rita Ora as a hot favourite.
The paper reports that Cheryl, a keen dancer herself, is more interested in appearing on Syco's new BBC show, alongside Britian's Got Talent judge Alesha Dixon.
A source said: 'Cheryl loves X Factor but she enjoyed filming the pilot for new BBC programme and loved it.
'The show feels fresh and because it's a new format she is excited by that. Dance has always been a passion for her so it feels right for her.'
The new series, created by Syco and Thames TV, will see dancers from all different genres across the UK competing to be named the UK's Greatest Dancer.
Diversity dancer Jordan Banjo hosted the pilot, while Strictly Come Dancing pro Oti Mabuse and Glee's Matthew Morrison were mentors to the contestants.
It will mark the first time Cheryl has returned to prime-time TV screens since departing The X Factor back in 2015, and giving birth to son Bear in March last year.
'She's excited by a fresh format': A source said: 'Cheryl loves X Factor but she enjoyed filming the pilot for new BBC programme and loved it' (pictured at the ITV show launch in 2015)
With the singer's commitments at the BBC, singer Rita Ora is now hotly tipped to be returning to the X Factor panel, after winning the show in 2015 with pop star Louisa Johnson.
Latino legend Gloria Estefan is also rumoured to be part of the shake-up, as Simon is a big fan of her work.
MailOnline has contacted representatives of The X Factor and Cheryl for further comment.
Family time: It will mark the first time Cheryl has returned to prime-time TV since giving birth to son Bear, other than a guest appearance on the 2017 series at Simon's judges house (above)
The new reports come after X Factor judge Louis Walsh claimed he and Sharon Osbourne are 'unsackable' for one more series, thanks to 'watertight' three-year contracts.
Amid rumours the pair and Nicole Scherzinger were facing the axe, the 65-year-old revealed he had called Simon Cowell, 58, during his holiday in Mexico - and even instructed lawyers to maintain his spot on the panel in 2018.
Louis told The Sun: 'My contract is watertight. I've checked it out with someone and have told Simon that.
Firm: The new reports come after X Factor judge Louis Walsh claimed he and Sharon Osbourne are 'unsackable' for one more series, thanks to 'watertight' three-year contracts
'I have spoken to Sharon. She's said they can only sack us if they pay us.' Louis continued.
The boy band manager admitted that even Sharon was surprised she hadn't received any filming dates yet, but believed that show bosses hadn't finalised what they wanted to do with the panel.
The publication also reported that Sharon and Louis were rumoured to be paid £1.7million a series and have sought legal advise, insisting 'they won't go easily'.
Undecided: Louis admitted that even Sharon was surprised she hadn't received any filming dates, but believed that show bosses hadn't finalised what they wanted to do with the panel (here in 2017, featuring L-R Louis, Sharon Osbourne, Nicole Scherzinger and Simon Cowell)
With the reports suggesting that show creators wanted to attract a younger audience to the flagship ITV competition, Louis also hit back at claims he was being axed because of a hearing aid promotional role for Specsavers.
Louis denied being a part of an ad campaign for hearing aids, and added: 'I had to do a test and they said my hearing was perfect - 100 per cent perfect - so I couldn't do it.'
On Sunday, it was rumoured that fellow judge Nicole would not be returning to her place on the panel.
The former Pussycat Doll, 39 - who has been a judge on the hit ITV singing competition since 2012 - allegedly doesn't have a contract for the 15th season.
The Sun reported that Simon is planning a massive overhaul of the show to try and entice a younger audience.
Pop hunk Craig David and One Direction's Louis Tomlinson are both reportedly being considered for the show.
An X Factor spokesperson told the MailOnline: 'There is always speculation regarding the judging panel. It's too early to confirm the judges for the next series.'
Sharon's transatlantic commitments on a US-based daytime show - The Talk - puts her status on the show in a precarious situation when it comes to returning to the judges table - with Sharon's exhausting trips to-and-from America allegedly causing a strain.
Nicole's spot on the show has already been in question, as it's been rumoured that Cheryl, who was abandoned last year's series to concentrate on her venture into motherhood, is in talks to return.
Despite being shrouded in mystery, Poison hitmaker Nicole has previously voiced her frustration about Simon's last minute panel decisions.
Chatting to The Sunday Mirror, Nicole explained that the judges don't find out their fate until the same month the show returns.
She told the publication: 'Simon is so f****** last minute we know in the same month that he announces it. We'll see what happens.'
© Associated Newspapers Ltd.