Jordan Customs

Jordan Customs

Jordan Customs

The early twenties of the last century have witnessed the establishment of Trans-Jordan Emirate. Thus, there was a need to establish a governmental agency to control the movement of goods and commodities imported into the Emirate, as well as goods transiting through its territories due to the location of the Emirate at the heart of the Arab World, as well as its strategic importance at both the regional and international levels, Therefore, the first Customs administration – that was then known as Directorate of General Excise and Statistics- was officially inaugurated in parallel to the establishment of Trans-Jordan Emirate in 1921. It was administratively related to the Council of Advisors, (currently, the Prime Ministry) during the period 1921-1925. Initially, it took up the task of statistics and inspection as well as collecting revenues levied on imported goods. Afterwards, it was structured under Finance Principal (Minister of finance) and later called Directorate of Customs and Excise. During 1928-1935, Jordan customs was disengaged from Finance Principal and linked directly with the Council of Ministers. During 1953-1951, the Department was coupled with Ministry of Trade and Industry as it was called then Ministry of Trade/ Customs. Between1956-1983, the Department was re-linked with Ministry of Finance and named Ministry of Finance/ Customs. As of 1983, the Department has been called General Customs Department headed by a Director General who reports directly to Minister of Finance. Since then, twenty Director Generals have alternated this post.

Contact Information

Jordan Customs
P.O. Box 90
Amman 11118 Jordan
+962 6 4647791