At least 15 people, including women, were killed and more than 30 others wounded in a suicide bombing in Kabul on Saturday, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) said on Sunday, revising the toll.
The attacker blew himself up in front of the MoD entrance at around 3:30pm on Saturday, killing three Afghan National Army (ANA) officers, three lieutenants, three other staffers, an engineer of a private company and four civilians.
MoD spokesman, Dawlat Waziri told Pajhwok Afghan News nine ANA officers, including one female, six soldiers, 11 civil employees and five passers-by were among the wounded. The injured also included seven women.
Kabul police chief, Abdul Rahman Rahimi, told reporters at the site the bomber walked to the entrance of the ministry and blew himselfup. Mostly civilians were the fatalities, he said.
An eyewitness said it was a suicide bombing that took place in front of the entrance gate to the ministry. Ghulam Haidartold Pajhwok Afghan News: "I was passing through the area when the powerful explosion occurred. I saw a column of thick smoke rising into the sky."
He said the explosion targeted a security forces' vehicle that was comprehensive destroyed and some people were killed and wounded. He, however, did not give specific casualty figures.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. The group's spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said a number of ANA soldiers had been killed and wounded in the incident.
By Nasir Ahamad Sidiqi
Copyright © Pajhwok Afghan News. All rights reserved.