Baghdad: Five Iraqis dead as two occupation soldiers killed in attacks

Published July 1st, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Two separate bomb attacks on Thursday killed five Iraqi civilians in Baghdad, while two occupation soldiers died in two seperate incidents. 

 

An explosion rocked an area near a central Baghdad hospital, police and military officials said. Firefighters responding to the area fired guns into the air to disperse the crowds, reports said. 

 

The bomb exploded near the car of a senior Iraqi Finance Ministry official, slightly injuring him but killing his guard and driver. 

 

An interior ministry spokesman said attackers had attached a bomb to one of the vehicles in Ihsan Karim's convoy. It exploded as the convoy drove through Baghdad.  

 

Hospital officials confirmed that Karim was wounded and denied reports that he had been killed in the blast.  

 

Earlier, a U.S. soldier at the scene said the explosion had been caused by a roadside bomb that was detonated near a U.S. convoy. The soldier confirmed two Iraqis had been killed.  

 

Later, a roadside bomb went off after a police car drove by, killing three civilians and wounding two others in the northwest Baghdad district of al-Khadra'a, Iraqi police Col. Adnan Abdul Rahman said. 

 

Elsewhere, one soldier from the U.S.-led force in Iraq was killed and two wounded when their convoy was attacked with a roadside bomb outside the northern city of Mosul, a U.S. military spokesman said.  

 

The spokesman declined to give the nationalities of the victims of the attack, which occurred to the south of the city.  

 

In another icident, a U.S. Marine was killed Thursday west of Baghdad, the U.S. military said.  

 

The Marine was killed in Anbar province "while conducting security and stability operations," the military said in a statement. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content