British soldier killed in Basra as Bush administration more open to idea of multinational force in Iraq

Published August 28th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A British soldier has been killed and another wounded in southern Iraq. The two troops came under fire from small arms fire while in Basra, a military spokesman said Thursday. 

 

Last week, three British soldiers were shot dead and a fourth injured after being ambushed in the same city. 

 

The latest death brings the total number of British troops killed to 11 since US president, George W. Bush declared an end to the war on May 1. 

 

Meanwhile, it is reported that the Bush administration is open to the possibility of establishing a U.N.-endorsed multinational force in Iraq if it is headed by an American commander, a top State Department official said, according to the AP.  

 

Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage acknowledged that the idea is one of many being weighed by the administration as it attempts to deal with rising death toll.  

 

The proposal outlined by Armitage would not entail the deployment of U.N. forces to Iraq but would simply provide the U.N. endorsement for the deployment of a multinational force. (Albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content