A Lebanese agricultural worker was seriously injured Monday by the explosion of an Israeli landmine at the periphery of the former Israeli-occupied border zone in southern Lebanon, police said.
Said Hassan, 32, was watering a tobacco field when he stepped on the landmine which caused serious wounds in his foot and other parts of his body, they said.
Israeli forces had planted mines along the periphery of the border zone it occupied for 22 years in southern Lebanon until its troop pullout in May.
The area where the landmine blew up on Monday had been deserted throughout the occupation, but since the Israeli pullout it was turned into a tobacco field.
The number of accidents involving landmines and other booby traps in southern and eastern Lebanon has increased alarmingly since the Israeli withdrawal.
Since then, nine civilians have been killed and 54 injured by exploding mines and booby-trapped objects.
Among the wounded are about 10 Lebanese army soldiers who received injuries while clearing landmine fields, according to an AFP count.
The United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon estimates that Israel left behind 130,000 mines in southern Lebanon -- TYRE, Lebanon (AFP)
On November 14, the UNIFIL said its Finnish, Swedish and Ukrainian sappers had cleared mines almost one third of the formerly-occupied area, defusing 1,520 explosive devices.
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)