Clashes between Taliban and security forces leaves 37 dead in Afghanistan’s Kandahar

Published December 4th, 2016 - 02:00 GMT
Afghanistan's security force and rescue personnel and NATO troops inspect the site of a suicide attack. (AFP/File)
Afghanistan's security force and rescue personnel and NATO troops inspect the site of a suicide attack. (AFP/File)

Thirty-seven Taliban militants have so far been killed during an ongoing operation in Nish district of southern Kandahar province, police said on Saturday.

A dozen police were also killed and eight others wounded in the offensive, said provincial police spokesman Zia Durrani. He said the wounded police included the district police chief, Ghulam Ghaus.

He said the insurgents continued to pose threats in the district and the operation would continue until the threats were naturalised.

Local residents said the fighting had ceased but Taliban militants still existed in various parts of the district.

One of them, Mohammad Hanif, said the fighting stopped today and security forces continued their raids in various areas.

He said Haji Alam, Shehrak, Shinkian and other villages had been scene of fairce clashes between security forces and Taliban militants. He said all sides including civilians had suffered heavy casualties so far in the clashes.

He said the rebels killed many civilians on the accusation of working for security forces.

He said 23 people killed by Taliban were yesterday buried after their funerals in which Kandahar police chief Gen. Abdul Raziq also participated.

Yesterday, security officials also said armed militants had killed 23 civilians, including women and children, in Nish district.

Clashes broke out in Nish district five days ago after what local residents said hundreds of Taliban fighters entered the district from neighbouring Uruzgan province and attacked security posts and overran many.

ByBashir Ahmad Naadim


Copyright © Pajhwok Afghan News. All rights reserved.

You may also like