Clashes in the southern Yemen city of Taiz killed twelve civilians Saturday, despite a ceasefire between Houthi rebels and Saudi-led forces, officials told AFP.
Local government officials told AFP that Houthi rebels shelled neighborhoods in Yemen’s third city, killing twelve and wounding 51. Overnight clashes killed 26 Houthi fighters and fourteen pro-Hadi combatants, military sources say.
The five-day humanitarian ceasefire began Tuesday and appeared to be lasting despite heavy fighting between Houthis and local militiamen in Taiz, reported Reuters. The truce was aimed at allowing humanitarian aid into Yemen following weeks of airstrikes and ground clashes.
Taiz residents, taking cover from the violence in surrounding countryside, say the aid has not arrived.
“Humanitarian aid hasn’t reached Taiz, where we haven’t received fuel, food, or medical equipment,” an official told AFP.
The ceasefire is set to end Sunday night.
A Saudi-led coalition began conducting airstrikes in Yemen on March 26 against the Shiite Houthi insurgents, who had taken over large parts of the country.
The UN estimates the conflict in Yemen has so far killed over 1,400 people, including at least 115 children.
© 2000 - 2021 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)