Yemen's exiled government has declared three areas in the country "disaster" zones due to the heavy fighting, including the southern port city of Aden, AP reported Monday.
The government said along with Aden, the cities of Taiz and Dhale raise alarm as they no longer have basic needs like electricity, medical supplies, food and water. The three cities have also been the targets of Houthi rebels and their allies, former president Ali Abdullah Saleh loyalists.
"These cities are on the verge of collapse," Nadia Saqqaf told AP.
More than 1,000 civilians have been killed in the country's conflict, which escalated last month when Saudi Arabia began conducting airstrikes against Houthi rebels to support the internationally recognized government.
Houthis stormed the capital in September and forced President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to resign. Hadi later withdrew his resignation, claiming legitimacy, and has since fled the country when his presidential stronghold in Aden was attacked.
© 2000 - 2020 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)