Daesh claims attack on Shiite mosque in Saudi

Published May 29th, 2015 - 12:59 GMT
Locals examine the damage to Imam Ali mosque in Qatif, Saudi Arabia following last Friday's suicide bomb attack that left 21 dead.  (AFP/File)
Locals examine the damage to Imam Ali mosque in Qatif, Saudi Arabia following last Friday's suicide bomb attack that left 21 dead. (AFP/File)

Daesh claimed responsibility via Twitter for a Friday attack on a Shiite mosque in Saudi Arabia’s Dammam that killed four people, reported Reuters.

A government spokesman told the Saudi state news agency SPA that the attack targeted worshippers in Dammam’s al-Anoud mosque during Friday prayers.

A suspicious car parked near the mosque exploded as security forces approached it, SPA said. Four people were killed in the blast, including the driver of the car. 

A Daesh statement posted on Twitter identified the suicide car bomber as Abu Jandal al-Jizrawi, adding that he was able to complete the attack despite heightened security.

Last week, Daesh claimed a suicide bombing that killed 21 worshippers during Friday prayers at a Shiite mosque in Saudi Arabia.  Last week’s bombing was the first attack claimed by Daesh in the majority-Sunni kingdom. 

Saudi Arabia is currently involved in an air campaign against Iran-backed Shiite Houthi insurgents in neighboring Yemen, which has intensified sectarian tensions in the region.  The kingdom’s involvement in US-led coalition airstrikes against Daesh in Syria and Iraq has also sparked fears of backlash within Saudi Arabia. 


© 2000 - 2021 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like