Daesh-Taliban battle kills 50 in Afghanistan

Published November 8th, 2015 - 06:00 GMT
Daesh and Taliban fighters are clashing in the southern Afghanistan province of Zabul. (AFP/File)
Daesh and Taliban fighters are clashing in the southern Afghanistan province of Zabul. (AFP/File)

Local officials on Sunday said 50 militants were killed and several others wounded during a clash between Taliban and Daesh fighters in the southern Zabul province of Afghanistan.

Elsewhere, another 12 Daesh members were killed during an operation by Afghan forces in eastern Nangarhar province.

In Zabul, the fight between supporters of Taliban’s leader Mullah Akhtar Mansoor and dissent Taliban commander Mullah Dadullah Mansoor, also backed by Uzbek Daesh fighters, broke out two days ago in Arghandab district.

Zabul police chief Col. Ghulam Jilani Farahi told Pajhwok Afghan News the ongoing fight had spread to Khak-i-Afghan and Dai Chopan districts.

“Based on our information, 48 members of Dadullah group and Daesh, and eight of Mansoor have been killed during the fight,” he said.

Another 30 militants from the both sides have been wounded, he said.

Arghandab district chief Haji Mahmand Nasratyar confirmed the clashes were ongoing and said tens of militants on both sides had suffered casualties.

He said eight civilians, including four women who were taken hostage by Daesh members, had also been killed during the clashes.

Zainullah, a resident of the area, said a senior Taliban commander Pir Agha was among the dead. He claimed seeing 19 Taliban militants in wounded condition and 35 Daesh members captured by Taliban.

In Nangarhar, a dozen Daesh fighters were killed in Achina district. the district chief, Haji Ghalib Mujahid, said an operation launched few days ago against Daesh fighters was still ongoing.

He said the Daesh 12 fighters were killed and two others wounded in Shadali, Tangi, Abdul Khail and Peshay areas of the district on Saturday.

Nangarhar police spokesman, Hazrat Hussain Mashraqiwal, said that security forces had built new posts in the areas after being retaken from Daesh fighters.

He said most parts of Achin district had been cleared of rebels and Afghan forces were advancing.

Local officials had previous said that hundreds of Daesh fighters suffered casualties during air and ground operations.

The two rival militant outfits have so far said nothing about the latest incidents.

By Nasim Hotak

Editor's note: This article has been edited from the source material


Copyright © Pajhwok Afghan News. All rights reserved.

You may also like