De La Hoya Plans to ‘Walk Through’ Mosley

Published June 8th, 2000 - 02:00 GMT

Oscar de la Hoya wants to be more aggressive when he returns to the ring June 17 to defend his World Boxing Council welterweight title against unbeaten fellow American Shane Mosley. 

"I want to attack, attack and attack," de la Hoya said Wednesday in Big Bear, California, at his training camp. "I want to be explosive and aggressive right from the beginning. I'm in great shape and when I am, nobody can beat me." 

The 26-year-old "Golden Boy" fought Mosley as an amateur, sparring between 50 and 60 rounds with him earlier in their career, and said his opponent's style suits him well. 

"Shane doesn't really possess that knock-out punch," de la Hoya said. "He wears opponents down and that gives me confidence. I intend to walk right through him." 

Mosley is 34-0 with 32 knockouts while de la Hoya is 32-1 with 26 knockouts. His only loss came last September when Puerto Rico's Felix Trinidad rallied to win a controversial decision. 

De la Hoya said that Mosley's only weakness in the ring would be his lack of experience. 

"Everything he does is rated a 10," de la Hoya said. "He is an all-round fighter, but I believe the best fighters bring out the best in me." His only weakness would probably be the lack of quality opposition he has faced. 

"I can match his speed with no problem but my power will make the difference" - (AFP) 

© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like