Egyptian FM delays Israel visit

Published November 20th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Egypt's foreign minister has postponed a planned visit to Israel, two days after an Israeli tank shell killed three Egyptian soldiers on the Gaza Strip border.  

 

In a statement carried by Egyptian media Saturday, the Foreign Ministry said minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit had spoken with his Israeli peer Silvan Shalom about "choosing a new date" for the tour, which had been set for next Wednesday. It is likely to be held in the the first half of next month, the ministry said, according to The AP.  

 

Israeli sources said Saturday the Egyptian move is not connected to the border incident. However, Egyptian newspapers on Friday slammed Israel.  

 

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry has condemned the shooting, and called for an immediate and full dressed investigation into the circumstantial evidences of this incident. (albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content