First US Naval Ship Uses Suez Canal since Cole Blast

Published November 22nd, 2000 - 02:00 GMT

The first US warship to use the Suez Canal since the attack on the destroyer Cole in Aden, Yemen on October 12 was passing through the waterway Wednesday, Pentagon spokesman Kenneth Bacon said. 

The fast frigate Hawes would be going through the canal from south to north, Bacon, accompanying US Defense Secretary William Cohen on a Middle East tour, said. 

The attack on the Cole, which had berthed in Aden for refueling via the Suez Canal, blew a large hole in the ship's side, killing 17 US sailors. 

US News and World Report magazine said at the end of last month that as a result the US Navy was avoiding the Suez Canal route. The navy refused to confirm or deny the report – CAIRO (AFP) 

 

 

© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like