Food Aid Distribution Resumes in Kabul after Angry Scenes

Published December 10th, 2001 - 02:00 GMT

Aid workers Monday resumed food handouts in the Afghan capital Kabul after angry scenes the previous day when distribution was suspended. 

Abdullah (eds: one name), a local representative of the UN World Food Program (WFP), told AFP the situation had returned to normal in the city's distribution centers. 

Holders of ration cards are authorized to collect a 50-kilogram (110-pound) bag of grain per family.  

In Karte-Parwan district a long queue of residents -- men on one side and women on the other -- awaited the handouts outside a school. 

"Things are going very well here and in the other centers. We don't have any problems and the situation is under control," said Abdullah, adding that 205 tonnes of grain had already been distributed at Karte-Parwan. 

The waiting queues were calm Monday morning. The distribution was supervised by civilian guards armed with sticks and Northern Alliance soldiers carrying Kalashnikov rifles. 

The assistance was being distributed on behalf of WFP by a Canadian non-governmental organisation, the Canadian Relief Foundation. 

In two city districts on Sunday residents staged protests when the aid distribution was suspended and threw stones at foreign journalists. 

A UN spokesman said aid distribution in 16 centres had been suspended Sunday for "security reasons" but would resume Monday -- AFP

© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like