Year-to-date sales of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles outperformed the regional industry mean by 7 per cent at a time where the latter's average was estimated to have dropped by nearly 20 per cent, according to Ford Middle East's director of Sales, Hussein Murad.
During the course of the year, Ford's sales kept their energetic momentum quarter over quarter, having registered nearly 15 per cent growth in Q2 over Q1, and an additional 10 per cent growth in Q3 over Q2. The company expects to close the last quarter with yet another double digit growth over Q3.
The outlook for 2010 remains positive for Ford according to Murad, thanks to planned network expansions and the introduction of some of the best product offerings ever in Ford's history in the region. Ford is planning to open four additional facilities in Saudi Arabia next year, with expansions also planned in Iraq and elsewhere throughout the region.
“Our solid product lineup is leading the way for our growth," said Murad. "While we still face a challenging road ahead, our One Ford transformation plan is working and our underlying business continues to grow stronger as customers increasingly look to Ford as a preferred option."
2010 represents an important milestone for Ford in the Middle East, as the company introduces a host of new products for the region – the highly acclaimed and all-new 2010 Ford Taurus, the mighty off-roader Ford F-150 SVT Raptor and the all-new full size crossover, the Lincoln MKT.
“These are exciting times for Ford Motor Company both globally and regionally, as we see the results of our transformation plan come to life through the exciting new products and innovations that we are introducing as well as our recent achievements in the areas of manufacturing, quality and technology. Since the One Ford plan kicked off three years ago, Ford has been working actively towards achieving results. Today, the outcome of these efforts is evident already across our lineup, and most importantly across the industry. Now, more than ever, Ford is delivering one of the strongest product lineups in our history. And that's exactly what we will be telling the show visitors: Ford is delivering, here, and now."
The all-new 2010 Ford Taurus
Leading the showcase of new products and technologies is the new 2010 Ford Taurus which is set to take the stage with its upscale new design, responsive driving dynamics and class-leading technologies.
The 2010 Ford Taurus’s exterior design details are more sculpted and powerful – from the powerdome that speaks of the strength behind its confident grille to the pronounced fenders and fascia.
Bold new headlights combined with recessed parking lamps frame a new expression of the signature Ford three-bar grille – and the lowered roofline helps make the new Taurus more aspirational.
Inside, a forward-leaning center stack – home to the climate controls, audio components and available navigation screen – flows in a continuous unbroken form through the instrument panel and down into the center console. The smart design allows for the interior to be formed with unbroken lines to impart seamless quality and craftsmanship.
New wheels, from 19-20 inches in diameter, fill the sculpted wheel wells and lend Taurus a muscular and athletic stance. To match its more athletic looks, the new Taurus features sportier driving dynamics. The 2010 Taurus comes standard with Ford’s proven Duratec 3.5 liter V-6, generating net 263 hp and net 249 foot-pounds of torque. This award-winning engine earns a ULEV-II emissions certification and comes paired with a choice of two new six-speed automatic transmissions.
High-end Technology goes Mainstream
Tech-savvy customers will find plenty to like about the new 2010 Taurus. Its technologies enable customer connectivity, while fulfilling desires for personalization, customization and control.
Key class-exclusive technologies available on Taurus include:
• Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) – This class-exclusive feature consists of two multiple beam radar modules, one each per rear quarter panel. When an approaching vehicle enters the defined blind spot zone, an indicator alert provides warning to the driver in the corresponding side view mirror.
• Cross Traffic Alert – Also a class-exclusive feature, Cross Traffic Alert uses the existing BLIS radar modules to sense oncoming traffic when slowly backing out of a parking spot. This industry-exclusive system functions only while the vehicle is in reverse and warns when cross-traffic appears within three car widths.
• Adaptive Cruise Control – Another Ford-exclusive technology, Adaptive Cruise Control allows the driver to set the vehicle cruising speed while using radar technology to monitor traffic travelling up to 600 feet ahead, automatically adjusting Taurus speed to help maintain a safe distance between vehicles.
• Collision Warning with Brake Support is a new, exclusive active safety feature, enabled by Adaptive Cruise Control. This system uses a radar sensor to detect moving vehicles ahead and provides a visual “heads-up” warning signal transmitted across the base of the windshield and an audible warning when slower moving traffic is detected ahead. The system also pre-charges the brakes and engages an electronic brake assist to help the driver stop more quickly.
• MyKey™ allows the vehicle's owner to activate a restricted driving mode. When enabled, Ford’s exclusive MyKey features a Persistent Belt-Minder® with Audio Mute until safety belts are buckled, an earlier low-fuel warning, and consistently engaged AdvanceTrac® stability control, Blind Spot monitoring, Cross Traffic Alert and Forward Collision Warning. Additional programmability includes restrictions on audio volume, limiting top speed to 80 mph and speed chime warnings at 45, 55, or 65mph.
• Multi-Contour Seats with Active Motion™ is available – on an industry-exclusive basis – for driver and passenger, integrating a six-way lumbar support and subtle rolling pattern massage. The bottom cushion features Active Motion technology, providing minute but continuous movement, stirring a change of muscular activation helping a driver avoid back pain.
In-addition to the exclusive technologies listed above, Taurus features many other impressive features including: Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start, SecuriCode™ Keyless Entry Keypad, Auto High Beams/Rain-Sensing Wipers, Easy Fuel® Capless Fuel Filler System, Sony® Audio and Ford SYNC® – a the fully integrated, in-vehicle voice-activated communications and entertainment system jointly developed with Microsoft. SYNC connects to MP3 players, iPods, memory sticks and PDAs.
Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
Emphasizing its leadership in manufacturing tough trucks, Ford is also featuring the new F-150 Special Vehicle Team (SVT) Raptor. The purpose-built, high-performance off-road truck is versatile enough to take on the most challenging desert adventures as well as the everyday commute.
The Ford F-150 SVT Raptor is powered by the new 6.2-liter V-8 engine that features all-new architecture specifically designed for robustness in a truck application, and delivers an estimated 400 net horsepower and 400 net lbs.-ft. of torque.
But building a high-performance off-road truck is not about the horsepower – it’s about the suspension. The F-150 SVT Raptor doesn’t disappoint, with 13.4 inches of usable travel in the rear suspension and 11.2 in the front.
Lincoln is offering full-size luxury crossover customers a fresh new choice with the 2010 Lincoln MKT, a three-row crossover that delivers the optimal blend of distinctive design, interior spaciousness, fuel economy and technology.
Most striking on the Lincoln MKT is the brand’s signature design – complete with a split wing grille, a beveled chamfer along the vehicle’s shoulder line, a flowing cantrail that frames the greenhouse and full-width horizontal taillamps that span the subtly curved weight-saving magnesium liftgate that adds visual character while protecting generous rear cargo space.
The Lincoln MKT is propelled by a powerful yet practical V-6 engine – a 3.7-liter, 24-valve variation of the award-winning Duratec engine family. This MKT powerplant delivers 268 horsepower at 6,500 RPM and 267 ft.-lb. of torque at 4,250 RPM, and has been tuned to provide brisk acceleration and smooth power delivery.
EcoBoost Engine Technology
EcoBoost™ is Ford Motor Company’s new high-volume, affordable engine technology slated for a range of global vehicles – from small cars to large trucks.
EcoBoost uses gasoline turbocharged direct-injection technology to deliver superior driving performance versus larger displacement engines, while also achieving up to 20 percent better fuel economy and 15 percent fewer CO2 emissions.
The fun-to-drive nature of EcoBoost engines is leading Ford to introduce these powertrains in large volumes virtually across its lineup. By 2013, more than 90 percent of Ford's North American lineup will be available with EcoBoost technology, and nearly 80 percent of Ford's global nameplates will have an available EcoBoost option.
Ford will introduce EcoBoost in its Middle East product lineup beginning in the 2011 model year on the Ford Taurus SHO, Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT.
Ford's new high-performance, fuel-saving EcoBoost technology is making waves in the engineering community, with the 3.5-liter version of the engine contributing 125 new patents and patent applications. The additions build on Ford Motor Company's current roster of 4,618 active U.S. patents, with thousands more patent applications pending.
Ford Action All The Way
Visitors to the Ford stand in the Dubai Motorshow will get a chance to experience the F-150 SVT Raptor in an engaging ride with pounding terrain, radical turns and unpredictable manoeuvers to handle.
Race car lovers can opt to challenge their gaming skills with the Ford Mustang slot car race, while fans of customization and Mustang can see for themselves, live, how a Mustang is upfitted and personalized.
© 2000 - 2019 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)