Former Palestinian hunger striker Allan to be released November 4

Published September 29th, 2015 - 06:53 GMT
The mother of Muhammad Allan holds a sign calling for his release. (AFP/File)
The mother of Muhammad Allan holds a sign calling for his release. (AFP/File)

A former Palestinian hunger striker will be freed from Israeli custody on November 4, after being rearrested earlier this month shortly after his release following a more than two-month fast.

The Palestinian Prisoners’ Club said that the IDF Military Prosecutor guaranteed that it wouldn’t extend Muhammad Allan’s administrative detention beyond November 4. The Israeli military confirmed the report and said that his release was contingent upon him not renewing his hunger strike.

Allan, who came close to death in August after fasting for two months to protest his arrest by Israel, called off a renewed protest earlier this month after two days.

A representative from a Ramallah-based advocacy group told the Palestinian news outlet Ma’an that Allan decided to suspend the new hunger strike out of health and legal considerations.

Allan was released from administrative detention by court order in August, after doctors found he had sustained brain damage as a result of his two-month hunger strike. It was unclear whether the damage was permanent.

He had been protesting his administrative detention — a controversial Israeli policy that allows the detention of security suspects without charge or trial for up to six months.

But immediately after his release from Barzilai Medical Center, a new administrative detention order was issued, prompting Allan to resume his protest.

According to Ma’an, Jawad Boulos, the director of legal affairs at the Palestinian Prisoners Club (PCC) who visited Allan at the Ramle prison on Friday, reported that he was unable to walk and was confined to a wheelchair. Boulos said his health was being closely monitored by the prison’s medical staff.

The PPC said that a number of other Palestinian prisoners in administrative detention were determined to continue their own hunger strikes in protest of their incarceration.

Allan, who was being held by Israel for his suspected involvement in the Islamic Jihad terror group, began his first hunger strike in June. His current detention is scheduled to end on November 4.

During his 66-day fast, Allan’s health steadily deteriorated until he was said to be on the brink of death. He was hospitalized at Barzilai in critical condition, and had twice slipped into a coma.

Despite a recently enacted law allowing doctors to force feed prisoners, Barzilai staff refused to sign off on the directive, saying the measure amounted to physical torture. The Israel Medical Association also said that medical considerations must not be influenced by politics, and accused the bill’s sponsors of attempting to use the issue for narrow political purposes.

Allan has become a cause celebre in Palestinian society, and throughout his hospitalization Arab supporters and Jewish detractors staged rallies near the hospital, at times clashing with police.


© 2021 The Times of Israel. All rights reserved.

You may also like

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content