Four occupation troops were injured during a three-hour firefight in southern Iraq, the U.S. military said Saturday.
The nationalities of the soldiers were not released and their injuries were not considered life-threatening. The Friday evening incident took place in a sector commanded by British soldiers.
They were wounded in Qalah Salih, some 40 kilometers south of Amarah, after a crowd of residents gathered around a convoy of vehicles and soldiers who arrested a man believed to have fired on them earlier in the day with an RPG.
At about 4 p.m., occupation soldiers were fired at from the crowd, the military said. Troops fired back before the fighting ended just after 7 p.m.
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)