Houthis dissatisfied with UN draft proposal to solve Yemen crisis

Published November 16th, 2015 - 01:52 GMT

The spokesman of Yemen's Houthi rebels says a draft proposal put forth by the United Nations (UN) to end the crisis in the country is flawed.

Mohammed Abdulsalam said Monday that the UN proposal for a fresh round of negotiations between Yemeni groups only includes the mechanism of the talks and does not address the main crisis in the Arab country and the chief reasons behind it.

Earlier this month, the United Nations special envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said that the talks between the Houthis and the government of Yemen’s President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi would begin by mid-November. However, the negotiations have yet not been held.

The UN special envoy added that he was working with a team to “reach an agreement on the date... and the subjects that will be discussed within the context of the UN Security Council Resolution 2216.”

Abdulsalam said that the draft proposal does not include political solutions to end the conflict in Yemen. It also does not include the issue of elections or the fight against Daesh.

Furthermore, he said the UN draft proposal does not cover a seven-point plan put forth by the Houthis and Yemen's General People's Congress in the Omani capital, Muscat, in July.

Yemen has been witnessing airstrikes by Saudi Arabia since March 26.

Saudi-led airstrikes have claimed the lives of more than 7,100 people so far, while a total of nearly 14,000 people have also been injured.

Editor's note: This article has been edited from the source material


Copyright © 2021 Press TV. All rights reserved.

You may also like