Human Rights Watch slams Saudi for targeting civilians in Yemen

Published November 27th, 2015 - 06:00 GMT

Human Rights Watch (HRW) has slammed Saudi Arabia’s targeting of civilians in Yemen, saying the kingdom and its supporters in the West have failed to provide answers over the killing of civilians in the impoverished country.

In a 73-page report issued on Friday, the HRW said Saudi fighter jets carried out at least ten “apparently unlawful” airstrikes in Yemen between April and August 2015, killing 309 civilians and wounding another 414 people.

The report said neither Saudi Arabia nor the United States, which has provided intelligence and logistical assistance for the attacks, have failed to launch an investigation into the civilian deaths in Yemen.

For more than seven months, Saudi Arabia has been targeting residential areas across Yemen.

The HRW report suggested that the attacks against the civilians had been deliberate and indiscriminate.

“Human Rights Watch found either no evident military target or that the attack failed to distinguish civilians from military objectives,” the report said, adding that the attacks took-place in areas under the control of Houthis including Sana’a, Amran, Hajja, Hodeida and Ibb and hit residential houses, market places, a factory, and a civilian prison.

The Saudi air campaign, which began on March 26, has killed more than 7,500 people, according to Yemeni sources, while the United Nations put the death toll at 5,700, saying more than half of those killed were civilians. 


Copyright © 2019 Press TV. All rights reserved.

You may also like