Iranian Mujahedeen opposition group rejects Iraqi decision of expulsion

Published December 10th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The Iranian opposition People's Mujahedeen rejected a decision by Iraq's interim leaders to expel thousands of its members.  

 

"Such a statement has no executive guarantees and only paves the way for terrorist activities by the mullahs' regime against, the Mujahedeen in Iraq, a spokesman for the group said on Wednesday.  

 

The Mujahedeen said its "presence in Iraq as a country under occupation is in the context of the Geneva Conventions" and blamed Iran for dictating the decision to the Interim Governing Council (IGC) in Baghdad.  

 

"The statement merely reflects the fantasies and illusions of the mullahs' regime, which regards the People's Mujaheeden Organization of Iran as the biggest obstacle to its export of fundamentalism and establishment of a satellite theocratic dictatorship in Iraq."  

 

An official statement released in Baghdad on Tuesday, cited by AFP, said, "The Governing Council unanimously decided to expel from Iraq by the end of the year the People's Mujahedeen because of the dark history of this terrorist organisation."  

 

The Mujahedeen, some 4,000-5,000 of whom had been regrouped and disarmed at a sprawling base northeast of Baghdad following the March invasion, have since September been considered prisoners by the US-led occupation. 

 

The group established base in Iraq in 1986 and carried out regular cross-border raids in Iran. (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content