Iraq: At least 30 killed in Kirkuk, Baqouba attacks; Additional bodies found in Baghdad

Published June 15th, 2005 - 08:19 GMT

Violence continued in Iraq Tuesday, as a suicide bomber killed at least 20 people and injured 81 in a market in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, a top police officer said.

 

The bomber walked up to people shopping at the open-air market in the center of town, Colonel Beistun Mohammed said, according to Reuters.

 

Also Tuesday, a doctor said the bodies of 13 Iraqi men, several of them beheaded, had been brought to a western Baghdad hospital. Dr. Mohammed Jawad of Yarmouk Hospital said the bodies - either decapitated or shot in the head - were brought to the hospital late Monday from near Khaldiyah, a town 75 miles west of the capital Baghdad.

 

Jawad stated that the bodies might belong to men who have been missing since their convoy that was delivering supplies for the U.S. military was ambushed near Khaldiyah on Thursday. Two of the bodies were identified as an Iraqi policeman and an interpreter, according to The AP.

 

Meanwhile, in a separate incident near Baquba, a suicide car bomber killed 10 Iraqi soldiers when he attacked a patrol in Kenaan, located 20 kilometers east of the town, also Tuesday, according to police. In the attack, three other soldiers and two civilians were wounded, a doctor said.

 

On its part, the US military said two soldiers were killed Monday by a roadside bomb near Ramadi, west of Baghdad.

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content