Israel-Hamas comprehensive ceasefire to begin Friday

Published July 17th, 2014 - 11:50 GMT

An Israeli official told the BBC on Thursday that a comprehensive ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas had been reached, potentially bringing an end to 10 days of hostilities that have left at least 230 Palestinians and one Israeli dead.

The BBC reported that the unnamed official said that the comprehensive ceasefire would come into effect at 6 a.m. Friday.

The temporary ceasefire was still in force on Thursday afternoon, despite Israeli airstrikes earlier in the day that killed eight Palestinians and the firing of three rockets by Palestinian militants into Israel.

That ceasefire was proposed by the UN special envoy for United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process after Israeli shelling killed four children playing on a beach near Gaza City, leading to international outcry.

Gaza-based rights groups have reported that around 80 percent of the 230 Palestinians killed have been civilians, while 1,678 have been injured according to Gaza medical authorities.


All Rights Reserved © Ma'an News Agency 2005 - 2021

You may also like