Israeli warplanes struck a Hezbollah weapons convoy on the Syrian-Lebanese border on Tuesday afternoon, Israeli media reports said.
Citing Arab media sources, Israel's Channel 2 said the Israeli Air Force bombed the arms convoy near a Syrian rebel "safe haven" where Hezbollah fighters were allegedly stationed.
Last month, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu admitted for the first time that Israel had carried out strikes inside Syria to prevent Hezbollah from acquiring what he described as “game-changing” weapons.
“We are proud that in the stormy and volatile Middle East, we were able to maintain relative calm and relative safety in Israel. We act when we should act, including here, across the border, in dozens of attacks, to prevent Hezbollah from getting game-changing weaponry,” said Netanyahu during a visit to Syria's occupied Golan Heights where he observed a military drill.
Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah had warned Israel in early 2015 that his party was in possession of all types of weapons.
“We have all sorts of arms that come to your mind. The resistance in Lebanon has everything the enemy can imagine and not imagine,” Nasrallah said.
Prior to Netanyahu's remarks, Israel had never formally acknowledged the anti-Hezbollah airstrikes in Syria, although unnamed Israeli officials had said Israel would keep striking any shipments of advanced weapons meant for Hezbollah.
Naharnet © 2019