An Israeli was shot dead by a Palestinian late Thursday near the Guivat Zev settlement to the north of Jerusalem in the West Bank, a hospital source said, according to AFP.
The victim, whose identity was not given, died when a Palestinian opened fire from a vehicle that passed him on a busy road linking Jerusalem to Tel Aviv, said the agency.
Earlier Thursday, Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinians on Thursday in clashes that flared in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Hospital sources told AFP that Ahmed Jamil Awad, 41, was shot during an exchange of fire between Palestinians and Israeli soldiers.
He was killed by the Israeli army near Tulkarm in the northern West Bank.
The second victim was killed near the Karni crossing point between Israel and the Gaza Strip, they said.
Ahmed Iyada Maresh, 18, died after he was hit in the chest by a large-caliber machine gun bullet while walking near the Karni crossing point, a frequent flashpoint during the past three months of violence.
Earlier in the day, a Palestinian man shot by Israeli troops during a fierce gunbattle at the Rafah refugee camp in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, died of his wounds on Thursday, hospital officials told AFP.
Hani Jamar Barhoum, 24, was shot in the head by a rubber bullet, they said.
Also Thursday, Palestinians buried four victims of clashes with Israeli soldiers in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip the day before.
Meanwhile, The Jerusalem Post reported late Thursday that a roadside bomb was detonated between Avnei Hefetz and Kalansuwa in the Tulkarm district as a Border Police jeep was passing by. Shots were also directed at the jeep. The Border Police personnel returned fire.
There were no casualties and no damage was caused, according to the paper.
In another report, the Israeli daily said that Palestinians have fired at the guard post at the entrance to the the Israeli army Ofer base west of Ramallah.
ARRANGEMENTS FOR FRIDAY PRAYERS AT AL AQSA
Men aged 35 and over, and women regardless of age, from eastern Jerusalem will be allowed to attend tomorrow's prayers on at Al Aqsa Mosque, according to The Jerusalem Post.
Twenty buses from the territories will be allowed to bring men over 45 to the prayers, said the paper – (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)