Israeli police kill Palestinian suspected of shooting right-wing Jew

Published October 30th, 2014 - 07:48 GMT

"Anti-terrorist police units surrounded a house in the Abu Tor neighborhood to arrest a suspect in the attempted assassination of Yehuda Glick, immediately upon arrival they were shot at. They returned fire and shot and killed the suspect," police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

The suspect was named as Islamic Jihad member Moataz Hejazi, 32, who had spent 11 years in an Israeli jail and was released in 2012.

The weapon in his home was taken by police for investigation on whether or not it is linked to the murder of Glick.

Rabbi Yehuda Glick, who holds dual US and Israeli citizenship and is the spokesman for the Joint Committee of Temple Organizations – was in serious condition after being shot in front of the capital’s Menachem Begin Heritage Center Wednesday night.

According to police, the shooting took place at approximately 10:30pm outside the memorial center, located near the Old City, by a suspect riding a motor bike who fled the scene.

Glick, who has a long history of advocating for Jewish prayer rights at the Temple Mount, spoke Wednesday evening at the Begin Center alongside MKs Eliyahu Ben-Dahan, Moshe Feiglin and Miri Regev at an event titled “Israel Returns to the Temple Mount.” 

MK Moshe Feiglin (Likud) who was with Glick, said that a motorcyclist drove up to Glick as he put posters from the event in his car and asked if he was Yehuda Glick. When Glick affirmed his identity, the motorcyclist shot him and fled.

“Shots were fired and the victim was rushed to an area hospital in serious condition,” said Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld. “Special patrol units are searching the area for the suspect and we are investigating the background of the incident.”

“It was an assassination attempt,” a Jerusalem city official said. “This is very serious.”

The victim was taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem. 
Dr. Yonatan Halevy, director-general of Shaare Zedek said that Glick underwent surgery for wounds in the chest and the stomach. 

"His situation at this moment is stable but his life is still at risk," Halevy said. He added that Glick has lost a lot of blood and had been given many transfusions.   

Glick’s father Shimon who is in the hospital awaiting results of the surgery told the media, “Everyone who reads Facebook and newspapers knows his life had been threatened. “Because he is a red head and tall, he stands out,” Shimon said.

“I am hoping that he will recover and continue his work,” he said.  

Following the shooting attack, Police Chief Yohanan Danino ordered the police readiness level raised to the second highest level in every district nationwide. 

Mayor of Jerusalem Nir Barkat urged people not no to take the law into their hands and to allow the police to do its work and find those responsible in the shooting.  

All rights reserved © The Jerusalem Post 1995 - 2022

You may also like


Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content